Thursday, March 19, 2009

Why I run for UPS for DownS

I became passionate about running when I realized that there are no limits to what the human body can do. I started with a goal of running a half marathon. In one calendar year from running that half marathon I ran my first 100 mile ultra marathon, and placed 10th. Since then I have a new view on life. One that stretches the limits of what people may consider “tough” or “difficult” physically and mentally.

We have a daughter with Down Syndrome. For me, running for charity, and especially UPS for DownS just adds more meaning to why I do what I do. If my passion for ultra-running can produce benefits or exposure for a great cause, then it makes crossing the finish line that much more meaningful. If I’m ever doubting that I can keep going during a race or in life, I think of my daughters and know that I will do whatever it takes to help them achieve their greatest potential in life. That means that I’m going to set the example of never quitting. I will not stop until I cross the finish line, and will do everything in my power to be there for them every step of the way to the finish line of life as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment